Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Cuz's Coner for March


March Cuz's Corner
By Dennis Frost
As Darrell Scott sang the other week from the McGlohon Theatre stage, "It’s a great day to be alive!" Spring already seems to be in a state of urgency and, thankfully, the rains appear to have returned to the piedmont of the Carolinas. Speaking of Darrell Scott, my high point for the last month would have to be Darrell’s second set of his cozily attended show. I’m continually amazed at his ability to reinterpret songs right on the stage, but a number of his standards played on the theatre’s beautiful grand piano simply took my breath away.
I must admit the Belleville Outfit’s CD release party at the Evening Muse was also pretty amazing. It’s been a while since I have happened on a band this young with such a grasp of roots music. Not only are they keeping alive the Austin-meets-Spartanburg swing tradition of Uncle Walt’s Band, but are also taking it in other, eclectic directions. I would recommend not missing them the next time they come through. Many of my Nashville compadres were absolutely blown away by them at the Folk Alliance Conference last week. Have you ever heard a group coming together on stage right in front of your eyes? This describes the Belleville Outfit – look out, world!
My final "pinch me" moment since the last time we talked was getting to spend part of an afternoon with Tift Merritt as she came by WGWG radio in support of her reigning AMA chart-topping CD, Another Country. It’s a thrill for me to discover an artist or group in the process of finding their muse – such as the Belleville Outfit. Sometimes, it’s equally thrilling when an artist rediscovers her art, as Tift did during her months in France. I stand by my review last month - Another Country is about as satisfying a record as you can find these days. Look for her at MerleFest this April and later this summer when she stops off in Charlotte!
There is some bad news for roots music fans, as No Depression Magazine will cease publication with its 75th issue this May. This decision was made almost entirely because of record companies’ slashing their advertising budgets for CD promotion, reflective of buying habits changing from CD purchases to downloads. I really hate this, as No Depression was one magazine for and about roots music that I could literally read from cover to cover. The plan is to continue the tradition online, but it will never replace the look and feel of that gritty recycled paper. My fear is that another causality of this phenomenon will be the pure art form of making a record album. I’m showing my age, but remember the thrill of sitting down and listening to Sergeant Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band? At least we still have live shows!
It’s hard to know where to begin in recommending new music this month, but I’ll give it a go. Note: Cuz’s Corner will continue reviewing CDs and not song downloads, so there! After about thirteen years together, Blue Highway’s Through the Window of a Train is exceptional work of all original bluegrass tunes. I especially like the fact that the lyrics tackle contemporary topics as well as the usual themes – a keeper! (http://www.bluehighwayband.com/)
I also am thrilled with the new one from Kathy Mattea. Coal is a collection of classic mining songs and is beautifully produced by the talented Marty Stuart. This is a powerful, heartfelt, and traditional-sounding work that I would highly recommend. You know a CD about coal mining that begins with two Jean Ritchie songs and includes tunes by Darrell Scott, Merle Travis, and others is going to be a good one! (http://www.mattea.com/)
The Belleville Outfit’s Wanderin’ is as highly recommended as their live shows. I love records that move from originals to covers and back again and the listener never notices. This one is fun and swings from the rafters! (http://www.bellevilleoutfit.com/)
Texas icon Joe Ely and accordion master Joel Guzman’s Cactus is a retrospective of Joe’s legendary career performed live, which, from my experience, is the best way to experience his music. If you love Tex-Mex folk music as I do, you need this one! (http://www.joeely.com/)
Bet you couldn’t tell I’m a huge Buddy Miller fan - not only of his songwriting, playing, and performances, but also of his production magic! Allison Moorer’s Mockingbird is an example of Buddy’s mastery and it showcases a wonderful vocalist at her best. (http://www.allisonmoorer.com/) Note that Allison will be performing with "hubby" Steve Earle at McGlohon Theatre on April 19th. They will perform solo acoustic and together! The new Tim O’Brien, Ricky Skaggs, and The Waybacks’ CDs will be on the agenda next month – stay tuned.
It’s extremely difficult coming up with a gig of the month for March as there are so many excellent choices. If you’ll check out the Folk Calendar, I bet you’ll find your gig of the month! That’s it for this time and, as usual, try to hit a live show or two and be sure to catch Wood & Steel at the Gathering on the 14th for the finest in bluegrass!
Cuz

No comments: