Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Rowan and Rice, The Duhks and Merlefest

Peter Rowan and Tony Rice are, of course, both legends. They have recorded and performed together before but recently they teamed up for a wonderful CD call Quartet. They are joined by bassist Bryn Davies and mandolin player Sharon Gilchrist. If you love acoustic music, rooted in but by no means limited to, bluegrass this is a must for your collection. The CD contains a new version of Midnight Moonlight that is just masterful. Guardian Angels is another must hear and the song Perfection is, well, perfect!

I got to see Peter and Tony live at this year's Merlefest and it was one of my highlights of the weekend. I also got a chance to hear the Duhks twice at Merelfest. I consider myself a member of the Flock, as Duhk fans are called, so I was more than a little worried when I realized they had a new lead singer. The two sets I caught put my worries to rest and I can say the Duhks are still the Duhks and I'm still one of the Flock.

No comments: